Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Day # 87

Uhm... I think it's the 87th day. Haven't been keeping track exactly. I think that even when I write these things, I have ADD. I always find myself remembering stuff I was supposed to write long after the fact. So right now I'm in class, clearly not doing what I should. This is Graphic Design 3 / Independent Study. You know, there probably shouldn't be spaces between the slashes. But anyways, the teacher is absent today. We were supposed to be watching the video, but we were assigned the worst substitute of all time. Today he gives me this whole spiel about him being thirty five years older than me and knowing alot. CLEARLY you don't know much if you don't know how to start a DVD and/or plug in a TV. It's hilarious. It's like he just landed on this planet or something. I obviously know that we're supposed to be watching this video, but I couldn't fail my classmates now, could I? As the eldest member of the class (in terms of both grade and experience with this course), I naturally felt called to order. So I went next door and got the keys to get the mouses out of the closet for the Macs instead of having him start the video. We'd be pretty darn bored anyways. Yea, so here I am...

Lunch is absolutely perfect, for once in my life. I have lunch with all my friends and even that bit has grown a tad. There's Andii, Kay, Steph, and a new addition to the bunch, Rebecca. She's an artist, so naturally I took a liking to her. I really like her style, too. It's pretty neat. The Friday before finals, she came over Andrea's for the weekly ritual of "Halo Night" and joined in on the fun. It was then that I witnessed her talent. We talked about collaborating and whatnot. It was cool. That's one of the reasons why i need to hurry up and get this thing prepared so that I can show off my skills. But dammit, I can't quite think of a domain name. If this kind of stuff is keeping me up at night, it's obviously important to me.

The placement of lunch this semester is really nice because it pretty much splits my day in half in terms of difficulty. Spanish is moderate, AP History is high, then lunch is break time after the teacher's lecturing. GOD I got my first taste of that today and I was nodding off, especially since I was dismissed to the back. I should've been Rosa Parks today, but the kid that took my seat is cool and the kid I sit next to now is pretty decent, so I just stayed put. The reason I'd sat in the front in the first place was to keep myself awake. Although it may not have been a successful tactic, it was at least an attempt. The teacher requested that we stay put in our current seats so that he could remember names, although honestly, given the fact that I'm the only black kid in the class, how difficult will it be to remember mine?

After lunch when we have AP Human Geography, I have to go outside of the building in order to get to my next class - in the trailers. They're not so bad, actually. I like the way they smell - kind of like wood, they have a water cooler (SPRING water, not fountain water, guaranteed called and hopefully clean), and the rooms are warm. ALL of them. It's great because I generally carry my coat around the school all day. The only real problem I have with the trailers is that they're like paper thin so we can hear everything if the class three doors down is rowdy. We'll get used to it, I'm sure. The desks and chairs are kinda like cardboard too (only not), but somehow they seem more reliable than the ones in the school with the screws coming out and whatnot. No rocky desks! Hurrah!

So I get to teach a class at the Community Art Center, if all goes well. As I've said several times by now, I'm not the biggest fan of children, exactly. Though they're middle schoolers, they pretty much tend to retain that childlike mentality until high school (and unfortunately, beyond sometimes). Still, the other day I was touched when this kid, a sixth grader, said goodbye to me. He was so adorable! But there might be a reason for that even. Basically, last year I had this one kid I defined as my "stalkee," basically someone I just really adored. I probably went a little too far with the last kid, though. XD That probably sounds so sick. This one kid was like half Japanese or something and reminded me of the Beetles. I used to bug him alot, especially since we go to the same school. We still do, but I stopped saying hello because he seems a little wary of me. He'll poke me every now and then and shyly say hello, which is nice. But as for the new kid, younger this time around, he SO looks like a cartoon character. He's so adorable. Quote of the day, "I don't understand those words [PMS]." That was HEELAIREEUS. I'd discuss how that conversation occurred, but I have to start getting everyone to pack up. Don't want to miss my bus because of a few people that can't shut down and store their mouses! I'll be back to write later, about my teaching experience. Ta-ta!