Monday, February 14, 2005

Day # 101

No more icecream. *cries* Why haven't Mummy and Duddy called me? I feel so loved. ¬_¬ I did talk to both of them earlier. Filing for financial aid can be such a pain in the ass. I'm seriously not having any children. XD ... Uhm. So Dad starts telling me all this stuff. Suddenly the Washington trip sounds like it could be fun, exciting even. I have to bring an evening gown. UGH. Good thing I'll be getting my hair done. Gotta keep it in good condition. Hopefully I shall SOCIALIZE too. Hopefully there'll be someone with similar interests! These people probably have money out the wazoo. It's not all about socializing, yea I know. Anyways, Dad was also telling me about Valentine's Day, how I'm making it too easy for you. Apparently my father is one of the few men to still give his spouse gifts, even after twenty years. That number is bigger than I thought it was. Apparently I ought to be spoiled, at least every once in a while. Apparently it is the male's duty and the thought process that someone will go through to get you something tells you a lot about a person. And what of a lady? I would love to hear father's commentary on that. They don't read this anymore. It kinda hurts. I guess they're busy though. Maybe they'll come back when I buy the domain. I have to let them know about that. It is an investment of sorts after all. I think once I talk to them about it, I'll go for the KMK deal. The Rocksta dude is totally not responding. But I won't say anything until the next layout is fully coded. I think I've already started to tire of it, though. I'll see.

Funny of the day: So Kathryn and Cory - they are basically the ultimate distraction for me during fourth block. I can't help it, I adore them, particularly when they're in a fair mood. At the end of class the funniest thing happened. Behind Kathryn there is a cut-out of people, you know, that kind of thing where you fold the paper and it creates a chain of whatever you cut it into, and it so happened to be out of black construction paper. So she rips down one and says something out of the movie "Roots." "'What's your name?' 'Kunta Kinte.'" It's the whole part where the slave master is attempting to whip him into accepting the name, "Toby Reynolds." I probably should have been offended, but I was more or less shocked into a fit of laughter. She appologized profusely, but I was laughing too hard to actually consider her appology. After seeing the parody that Dave Chappelle did off of that movie, I can't really take that movie as seriously anymore. LeVar Burton's face on the cover amuses me as well, especially considering the fact he was on Reading Rainbow once upon a time.

I should probably be more in touch with my culture. It is Black History month, don't you forget it. Trouble is though, our culture has been more or less beaten, stolen, raped, and everything else out of us. It takes us a lot more effort to trace ourselves back down to our deepest roots. It's harder for us to say oh I'm this that and the other thing. Essentially, our olive trees have been ripped out of the ground, hacked down, and distributed in books of history, coated with lies and untold secrets. While we are somewhat starting to plant new seeds, it takes very long for a tree to grow, especially after over one hundred years of damage to the soil. The olive tree is a reference to the book The Lexus and the Olive Tree, a book we're reading in my College Social Science Seminar AKA AP History class. I'm enjoying it so far. It's interesting to see how our world has changed and is continuing to change. This kind of history I like. It focuses on history on a global scale and not just on the US. US History is boring to me. There's so much about it that isn't true or fully put out there, because after all, we are the biggest "winners" out there. Bleh. Back to the roots thing, I'm interested in every other culture but my own for this reason most of all - it seems everyone else is in touch with their culture. Sure, ok, I'm African American, go study Africa, right? That just doesn't do it for me. I want to be able to be as precise as everyone else. But really, at the end of the day, I don't care really. It's because we must classify ourselves this way that many wars have been waged. We're all human beings in the end, so let's not hold it against each other that you're yellow, black, white, peach, or brown, 'kay? It's like the polar bear and the grizzly bear - practically the same animal, just from a different part of the world.

Intellectual rants are fun, assuming that's what all that was. But I best be off now. Good night.