Thursday, May 26, 2005

Sleepy Time

Agh, I'm tired. This week has been pretty good, except in terms of getting what I need to do done. I have not written a word of my paper, though I'm pretty sure I've collected enough resources in terms of research. Germany's history seems so cleancut. I haven't come across any discrepancies between texts, so I'm pretty sure the bulk of my information is correct. What I need to do is sit down, like I am now, and do the paper for hours in a row. Then, before I know it, I'll be done. Hopefully having a laptop on hand will make that much easier to acheive. I may just bring it home with me this weekend after all. If only writing a paper were like building a website. I wish I were as passionate about it. Alas, such is not so.

Tuesday I believe it was, I received my very own laptop! There's an anonymous individual who has donated one for every senior for the past four years. We've tried to think of who it is, but we're pretty sure we've come up with nothing with our guesses. It has to be someone on the inside, because how else would they know how many seniors there are exactly? Thank you, whoever you are. Our House Chair came into the house all nonchalant like he usually does, just having a little chitchat with us and all. He claimed to have come to wait for the other senior, my roommate, to arrive, but he finally gave in. I swear my heart stopped for a few seconds when I saw that box. The box had nothing on its outsides that would tell you it was a computer, but in my heart I just knew. I could smell it. I squealed for a moment, eventually becoming a little lightheaded, although I don't think I reacted as everyone expected me to. I never go to the extreme with my emotions, though, except for after buildup, in anger. Speaking of which, I'd blown up on my roommate recently too. But the second she heard the laptops had come in, she'd forgotten all about her grudge against me. Thank goodness, because it was stupid to begin with. Yes, I admit, it was my fault.

You see, I have this thing with my hair. I take a lot of pride in it, so you could say I am a bit like Samson. You know that story about the Israelite judge whose strength is in his hair? Well anyway, my sense of self beauty is often tied to my hair. When it's looking nice, I tend to feel most proud of myself, and my self esteem is at its highest. Anything offered to damage it is offered a death sentence in return. Well, the other senior said something to me, something I have heard time and time again, and have always respond to the same way. She suggested that I get my hair relaxed (that is, straightened permanently via chemicals) for graduation. I seriously exploded on her. There was always someone in this house telling me I should do it. I feel like that's the worst thing I could do to my hair. I wanted to tell her to look in the mirror and witness what a perm has done to her own hair, but anger got a hold of me. It seriously destroys my ability to think about what I'm saying and say it correctly. I was trembling after that battle, although I wasn't ready to agree to the silliness of it all just yet. The next day, I was willing to forgive, but when the other senior flipped because I'd touched her magazine, I gave up. I really don't know why that happened that way myself. It just somehow really angered me that I once again had to repeat myself about the fact that I did not want a perm because it is my belief that it destroys your hair. No one understands it though, because I am one of the few and proud who still believes in au naturel black hair. Sure, it's a lot of work to handle our napps as is, but those chemicals do not mean the answer. Once you put them in your hair, there really isn't a way to revert. Or so, that's how I have come to understand it. I hate it when people try to force their opinions on me. You are entitled to yours, sure thing, but if I have for four years explained that you cannot convince me of otherwise, why can't you just quit?

Yea, I think I'm going to go take a nap. The laptop is away being configured, so hopefully it'll be back soon. I NEED IT. I can't wait to start installing stuff. Plus it's wireless, so I can stay in my room FOREVER if I wanted to. The net is all I need. Peace out!