Monday, November 22, 2004

Day # 53

Occasionally, after I read an older entries and find something interesting I've said, I get a new idea for another layout. Note to self - see second to last line in previous entry. Also, newest affiliate will be added soon.

Sometimes when I look back on all my whiney, bitchy, ranting entries, I just wanna delete them all. However, that would create a false image of perfection. Everyone has their bad days, and for me to ignore them would be wrong. Besides, writing about them always gets me thinking about all the stupid things I do. It allows me to reflect and at least make a personal effort to change. I try to write from my heart and not so much from my head (which explains grammar issues and all the things I'd never say). That way, I discover things about myself I didn't even know. Or at least, didn't understand enough to place into vocal words. This thing is a tool. I love technology.

Speaking of which, we read a very interesting article during English today. It was mostly about the near imperceptible impacts of new technology. The author gave the example of the clock, how it was originally created to allow the monks perform daily rituals in a timely, accurate manner, and how it became a tool to control the actions of men. It's funny, almost everything we've done in that class has somehow related back to The Matrix, at least in my mind. Do we control the machines or do they control us? I like movies that get me to think about the future, like A.I.: Artificial Intelligence, I, Robot, etc. Anyway, it mentioned some greek guy, a king of some sort, Thamus, who had an inventor, Theuth I think his name was, come to him with his inventions for... inspections of sorts. One that Theuth came up with was writing. Good old writing. Thamus went on to mention the downfalls of writing - that it would change what we perceived as knowledge, the way our memories functioned, etc. The author, Postman, I think, went on to say that technology creates two groups - of losers and winners. That those competent in using these technologies would be seen as wise while they could be complete idiots. Yea, I won't bore you any further, regardless of how interesting I thought it was. I did a little searching and the article is from a book called Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology by Neil Postman. The article I made reference to above is called The Judgement of Thamus. I belive it is from the very beginning of the book. Wow... my memory does function.

Uhm... I got a startling offer today. How much do you want to bet that I can write a competent essay and complete an entire college application and CSS profile by Friday? My faith is fleeting. I think I've given up by now. But as Carol said, it wouldn't hurt to start anyways, regardless of how far along I get. It has to be finished eventually.

Uhm.. I'm a little tired. I realized that through all my ranting yesterday, I forgot to write much about my weekend. Friday into Saturday, I spent the night at Andrea's. We read manga aloud together (mostly me since I hadn't read it yet) , only to discover that it is impossible for me to read aloud without sounding like an illiterate moron. And yet, I offer to read during class. Maybe it was the silly voices I was trying to read in, or the face that book was right to left. Anyways, I slept soundly and for once in my life, I remembered a dream. Again... meaningless and yet nostalgic. I was on the stoop of my old home in Queens. The day was kind of grey, though I'm not sure it was raining. For whatever reason in the world, Brandon Boyd, the lead of the band Incubus was walking past my house, umbrella in hand, and I shouted something like "Mr. Boyd, can I have your autograph?" He nodded... or something, and I asked the neighbors next door (their house was dark and weird) for a slip of paper and a pen. I turned around and Mr. Boyd was gone. So I ran up the block until I came to this highway sort of area that had tons of people walking all over the place. It was kind of like a futuristic New York... though I can't remember the buildings. I finally gave up and stopped, Andii running towards me, smiling like she always does. Then, it was over. WTF does any of that mean? Well - maybe they don't mean much. It is human nature to analyze everything that has us thinking otherwise. The setting was recurring, as it is in most of my dreams. I remember the last dream in that setting being at night, though. Or something like it. It's all so very weird.

Well, I think I ought to be heading to bed now. G'nite.